While known for being a vacation destination for families with children, Walt Disney World is a popular place for solo travelers as it offers a wide range of activities and experiences that can be enjoyed independently. Some of the top things to d0 for solo travelers include the various theme parks, dining venues, resort hotels and entertainment options such as live shows and concerts.
When you visit Walt Disney World by yourself, you have the freedom to do what you want, when you want. Solo travelers can create your their own itinerary, ride the attractions at their leisure and eat whenever whenever they want while not worrying about accommodating anyone else’s schedule or preferences.
Walt Disney World is an amazing place and solo visitors can allow oneself to fully immerse yourself in the experience. Solo travelers can take their time when exploring the theme parks and appreciate the many intricate details & theming throughout the resort. Visiting Walt Disney World by yourself can be a unique and rewarding experience, allowing you to fully embrace the magic of the parks and create memories that are truly your own.
Single Rider Lines
A single rider line is a separate queue where those visitors who wish to ride alone, are able bypass the traditional line and get on the attraction typically much quicker than the traditional “Stand By” line. Cast members use the single riders to fill empty seats in a ride vehicle as not all traveling parties match the number of seats available on a ride vehicle.
There are several attractions which feature a Single Rider Line which include:
- Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain (Disney’s Animal Kingdom)
- Test Track (Epcot)
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith (Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
Click here to learn more about Single Rider Lines at Walt Disney World
When traveling at Walt Disney World with a large group, dining is typically one of the biggest challenges. Finding an place to eat that is agreeable to everyone in your party can be daunting. And once a place is selected, there could be a fairly substantial wait for a table (sit down dining) or for the food to be prepared (in the case of a quick service venue).
When traveling solo, you can eat whenever and wherever you want. And it’s typically easier time easier to get seated at some of the busiest restaurants throughout the resort (although you may need to eat at the bar or in a lounge).
Some of our favorite solo restaurants & lounges include:
- Space 220 Lounge (Epcot)
- Columbia Harbour House (Magic Kingdom)
- California Grill Lounge (Disney’s Contemporary Resort)
- 50’s Prime Time Cafe Lounge (Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
- Beaches and Cream (Disney’s Beach Club Resort)
- Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar (Epcot)
- House of Blues (Disney Springs)
Other Things to Do
When traveling solo there are a number of things to do outside of just the traditional rides and attractions. Disney offers a number of amazing entertainment options, exhibits and education experiences that are sometimes overlooked during a family vacation.
EPCOT Annual Festivals
EPCOT hosts a number of annual festivals that are ideal for solo travelers. These festivals include amazing live shows with concerts by well known performing artists, delicious food options at a number of marketplace venues throughout the park and numerous exhibits that feature art, culture & gardening.
- Epcot International Festival of the Arts
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival (very popular among solo travelers)
- Epcot International Festival of the Holidays
Visiting Walt Disney World during one of these festivals is a great place to start your solo traveling experience.
Walt Disney World Tours & Experiences
There are a number of behind the scenes tours as well as Disney inspired experiences offered at Walt Disney World that are ideal for the solo traveler. These tours & experiences provide a unique prospective of Walt Disney World while offering the opportunity to meet new people within the tour group.
Several of our recommended tours include:
- Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the Magic Kingdom
- Behind the Seeds at EPCOT
- EPCOT Seas Adventures – DiveQuest
- EPCOT Seas Adventures – Dolphins in Depth
- Wild Africa Trek at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Savor the Savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Colors of Coronado Painting Experience
- Spanish Mosaic Art at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
Health & Fitness
A number of hotels and resorts at Walt Disney World feature on-site full service spas that offer a number of treatments and spa services. There are also several hotels with fully equipped fitness centers, jogging / walking trails and lap pools.
- The Grand Floridian Spa
- Health & Fitness at Coronado Springs
- Mandara Spa (Walt Disney World Dolphin)
- Muscles & Bustles Health Club at Disney’s Boardwalk Villas
- Old Key West Exercise Room
- Olympaid Fitness Center at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Ship Shape Massage Salon Fitness at Disney’s yacht Club Resort
- Sturdy Branches Health Club at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Zahanati Massage & Fitness Center at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Walt Disney World also hosts a number of runDisney® events that include themed full and half-marathons as well as 5K and 10K races. In April 2024, Disney will host the runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend which includes a number of running events as well as yoga and a surprise challenge.
Solo travelers that love to shop will definitely get their fill at Walt Disney World. With gift shops and retail outlets at almost every corner of the theme parks, visitors to spend days exploring all the stores at the Disney parks.
Just outside of the theme parks is Disney Springs which is a massive shopping and dining venue that offers free parking and a number of entertainment options. From the largest Disney store in the world to national retailers like Antropologie, Fabletics, Kate Spade new York, Lilly Pulitzer, Pandora Jewelry, Ron Jon Surf Shop and Under Armour, visitors will find almost 100 individual places to shop.