The JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa is one the newest luxury resort hotels in the greater Orlando area having just opened in the summer of 2020. This spectacular property consists of 16-floors of 516 well-appointed rooms & suites and has a very private location within the Bonnet Creek Resort.
At the time of our initial stay in July 2020 the hotel was open for less than 30 days and several floors of rooms were unfinished. In addition, due to the COVID pandemic a number of the amenities were not available due to physical distancing requirements as well as other restrictions. When the remainder of the hotel opens and restrictions are lifted, we look forward to touring the remainder of the items that were missed during our July 2020 stay.
This resort hotel has the look and feel of a property that appeals to adults and business / convention travelers. However with the number of differing room types as well as the wide range of amenities, the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek would also be a perfect spot for families visiting the Walt Disney World theme parks.
About the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
The Bonnet Creek Resort is a 70-acre hotel and resort development that is located on the grounds of Walt Disney World that is a scenic nature preserve that along with the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek, features a number of other luxury hotels and resorts. These include:
- The Waldorf Astoria Orlando
- The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
- The Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek
- The Wyndham Resort (which is a vacation club and time share development)
Bonnet Creek is located adjacent to Interstate 4 just south of Epcot Center Drive. Access to the resort is from East Buena Vista Drive via Chelonia Parkway which is next to Disney’s Riviera Resort. The JW Marriott located at the very end of Chelonia Parkway on the east side of the property.
JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort & Spa
14900 Chelonia Parkway
Orlando, Florida 32821
It is a fairly direct route from the Orlando International Airport via SR 528 (the Beachline Expressway) to Interstate 4 west. Barring any significant traffic issues, it will take approximately 30 minutes to get from the airport to the resort. The Orlando / Orange County Convention Center is also quite close the JW Marriott at just 10 miles along Interstate 4 east towards downtown Orlando.
Since the JW Marriott is located within the Walt Disney World Resort, all four Disney theme parks as well as the two Disney water parks and Disney Springs are a very short distance. The hotel is perfectly situated to view the nightly theme park fireworks displays.
Travel time per Google Maps (non-peak hours) to the other Orlando area theme parks and significant destinations include:
- The Universal Orlando Resort: approximately 20 minutes
- SeaWorld Orlando: approximately 15 minutes
- ICON Park: approximately 20 minutes
- Downtown Orlando: approximately 30 minutes
- Vineland Premium Outlets: approximately 15 minutes
- The Mall at Millenia: approximately 25 miles
- The Florida Mall: approximately 25 minutes
In addition to the hotel amenities indicated below, this JW Marriott features on-site car rental, valet dry-cleaning, valet parking and copy/fax service.
Hotels Amenities at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort & Spa
The amenities at the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek are what you would expect at a luxury hotel of this caliber. Along with a beautiful pool area there is a significant offering of things to do for families with children.
Amenities at the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek Include:
- Two resort style pools, a hot tub and a children’s splash pad. There is ample seating along the pool deck as well as private cabanas available for rental.
- A fully equipped fitness center with a variety of cardiovascular equipment, strength training machines and dumbells.
- A rooftop terrace where guests can watch nightly fireworks shows from the local area theme parks.
- Shuttle service to the Walt Disney World theme parks and Disney Springs (twice-a-day service).
- A full-service spa (which unfortunately was not open at the time of our visit).
- Sixth floor activity deck which includes two indoor kids’ recreation rooms with planned activities, outdoor playground, outdoor nine-hole miniature golf course, a rock-climbing wall and a reopen ladder.
As we noted, a number of these amenities were not open during our stay in July 2020. We are currently awaiting the rooftop terrace and spa to open before scheduling our next visit which we were told could be as early as October 2020 depending on the state restrictions.
Dining at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
From quick-service to casual dining as well as fine dining, the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek has something to offer for any palette. As with a number of the amenities, not all dining venues at this hotel are open at this time.
Sear + Sea Steakhouse
The Sear + Sea woodfire grill is the signature restaurant at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek. At this time the Sear + Sea restaurant is not open for business. However, the Sear + Sea Bar is open for lunch and dinner. This is a casual lobby bar and lounge with ample seating that features appetizers, salads, burgers as well as an array of beer, wine and cocktails. The Sear + Sea Bar also features a children’s menu.
Unreserved Food Bazaar
Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, this casual marketplace features a variety of Italian and European-style cuisine. During our stay in July 2020, Endless Summer Florida enjoyed the JW Omelet ($32) and the Acai Berry Bowl ($20) for breakfast.
Unreserved Beer Garden
Guests can enjoy European style draft been and rose wines along with hot pretzels and fresh pizza at this casual bar.
This Japanese restaurant is located on the ninth floor of the hotel and offers an outstanding view of the nearby theme park fireworks. Although not open during the time of our visit, this restaurant will be available for lunch and dinner service.
Get your coffee, drinks and other snack at this quick-service café. The JW Market is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and features daily specials as well as fresh smoothies and breakfast sandwiches.
Although not open during the time of our visit, Palm Cove will feature poolside dining in a casual atmosphere.
In addition to the above referenced dining options, room service will also be offered at the hotel.
The Rooms at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
Rooms and suites range in size from 378 square feet to more than 2,000 square feet and feature floor to ceiling windows, premium linens, high quality bathroom finishes.
The room types at the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek are as follows:
- Resort view guest room with one King bed
- Resort view guest room with two Queen bed
- Disney Springs view guest room with one King bed
- Disney Springs view guest room with two Queen beds
- Resort view corner guest room with one King bed
- Pool view guest room with one King and a sofa bed
- Pool view guest room with two Queen beds
- Disney fireworks view guest room with one King bed
- Disney fireworks view guest room with two Queen beds
- One-bedroom executive suite with one King bed and one and one-half bathrooms
- One-bedroom pool view Executive suite with one King bed and one and one-half bathrooms
- One-bedroom Disney fireworks view Executive suite with one King bed and one and one-half bathrooms
- Two-bedroom 1,167 square foot suite with one King bed and two Queen bedrooms with two and one-half bathrooms
- Two-bedroom 1,141 square foot corner room suite with one King bed and two Queen bedrooms with two and one-half bathrooms
- One-bedroom 1,317 square foot luxury suite with one King bed and one and one-half bathrooms
- One-bedroom 2,107 square foot Presidential suite with one King bed and one and one-half bathrooms
Each room includes a writing desk and chair(s), alarm clock, coffee maker / tea service, in-room safe, flat panel television featuring HBO, ESPN, CNN and pay-per-view movies, complimentary high-speed internet and room service. Select rooms have outdoor patios.
Conferences and Events at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
While Orlando is known for massive hotel conference centers (the nearby Hilton and Waldorf have approximately 250,000 square feet of conference space), the facilities at the JW Marriott Bonnet Creek are more intimate but ample for the size of the property.
The resort features 18 event rooms which comprise more than 50,000 square feet of event space and have a capacity of more than 2,300 attendees. The Grand Ballroom itself is 22,000 square feet and there are numerous outdoor venues to hold events and gatherings.
Hotels Rates at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
Rates are this resort vary for different dates throughout the year. The rates shown below are the best available rate for two adults in three different room types offered at the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek.
The following rates were obtained from the hotel web site at the time of publication.
|Rates for 2021||March 15th||July 15th||October 15th|
|Resort View – 1 King Bed Guest Room||$271.00||$228.00||$295.00|
|Disney Springs View – 1 King Bed Guest Room||$287.00||$244.00||$311.00|
|Resort View – 1BR Executive Suite||$470.00||$388.00||$470.00|
There is a resort fee of $35 per day as well a 6% resort tax on top of a 6.5% sales tax on rates for this hotel. Other charges include an on-site parking fee of $29 per day and enhanced internet can be purchased for $14.95 per day.
If you are a Marriott Bonvoy member you can use points for these hotels. Category 6 hotels like the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek require 40,000 during off peak nights, 50,000 during standard nights and 60,000 during peak nights.
What We Liked about the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
This hotel is brand new and there are so many things to like. Following are some of the highlights:
- Outstanding service – the staff at this resort is exceptional. From the front desk personnel to the food & beverage staff as well as the pool / amenity deck attendants, the people truly make this hotel great.
- Excellent location on the grounds of the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Unique amenities (we are looking forward to watching fireworks from the rooftop terrace when that opens).
- Spacious and open design with modern decor.
What We Didn’t Like about the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa
We will need to be a picky as there was not much to dislike but we do need to mention that our stay was interrupted by 45 minutes as we were stuck in an elevator. Engineering staff could not open the doors so we had to wait for the Orlando Fire Department to pry open the doors.
Otherwise, following are some of the dislikes:
- As of our visit not everything at this hotel is open including the pool bar, roof top terrace and several dining facilities. We would expect this to change when the hotel is completed and operating at capacity and COVID restrictions are reduced.
- Resort fees are becoming the norm in luxury hotels in Orlando but the $35 resort fee seemed excessive as the hotel is only providing twice-a-day theme park transportation.
- Food and beverages prices seemed high even at a hotel of this caliber. An example would be $32 for an omelet at Unreserved (but it was a very good omelet).
- Location within Bonnet Creek. The hotel is at the end of the development and adjacent to Interstate 4. While we did not stay in a room on that side of the hotel, it is possible that road noise could impact those rooms during peak hours.
What We Think the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa is Perfect For:
This hotel has so much to offer in just about every area and we consider it perfect for the travelers who are coming to the Orlando area for:
- Family Walt Disney World vacations
- Couples weekend getaways
- Business conferences in the Orlando area
Endless Summer Recommendation: If you are spending the full day at a theme park and are fine with a lesser quality hotel, there are less expensive options than the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek that are in the immediate area of Walt Disney World.
Our Endless Summer Hotel Rating
We consider the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort and Spa within the top five luxury hotels in the Orlando area (others include the Four Seasons at Walt Disney World, the Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek, the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes and the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes).
We rate the JW Marriott Orlando Bonnet Creek Resort & Spa 4.75 out of a possible 5 stars and would highly recommend it for your next trip to Orlando.
Check back in the coming weeks for an update when we return to review all the closed dining options and amenities.