Located directly on-site at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, Disney’s Contemporary Resort is one of Disney’s “Deluxe Resort” category hotels, providing an extensive array of amenities and a premium experience. The hotel is the closest to the Magic Kingdom and within walking distance from the front door.
The Contemporary is one of the original on-site hotels to open at Walt Disney World back in October 1971. The resort features 655 rooms and suites in a single 15-story tower building and three, three-story garden style buildings. The main “A-frame” style-tower includes the hotel lobby, dining options and recreational amenities.
Immediately adjacent to the hotel is the Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort which opened in 2009 and includes a 15-story, 295-rooms building that is part of Disney’s Vacation Club (DVC). Bay Lake Tower is connected to the Contemporary by a skybridge so guests can easily traverse between the two properties.
Disney’s Contemporary Resort is adjacent to the the Magic Kingdom theme park. The resort is part of the hotels on Disney’s monorail loop along with Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort and Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. What makes the Contemporary unique is that the monorail (literally) drives right through the center of the hotel and guests board from a second floor landing area. Guests can also get to the Magic Kingdom by water taxi or walking path.
Hotel amenities at the Contemporary are extensive and include two resort pools, children’s splash pad, a white sandy beach, boat rentals, numerous organized activities, a finesses center, complimentary resort wide transportation and a number of food & beverage options.
If you thinking about staying at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, we would appreciate if you can use our links when making the reservations. Endless Summer is an affiliate with Expedia.com and receives a small commission for each visit that was referred by our website. This allows us to continue to continue making great content for our audience.
Frequently Asked Questions – Disney’s Contemporary Resort
What are the hotel rates at Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
Since the Contemporary Resort is one of Disney’s “Deluxe Resorts”, prices are among the highest of any at the Walt Disney World Resort. Typically, nightly rates range from less than $350 per night to more than $700 per night depending on the time of year and the room type. See our price chart below for rates during specific nights.
Does Contemporary Resort provide transportation to the Walt Disney World theme parks?
Disney’s Contemporary Resort offers complimentary monorail and water taxi transportation to the Magic Kingdom as well bus transportation throughout Walt Disney World including the other theme parks, water parks and Disney Springs. The quickest route to the Magic Kingdom is via the walking path which takes less than 10 minutes from the front door of the hotel.
It should be noted that guests can take the Epcot monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center to the Epcot theme park. The TTC can be accessed via the Monorail.
Is there free transportation from the Orlando International Airport to Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
Disney’s Contemporary Resort, as with all on-site Disney hotels, provides complimentary bus transportation from the Orlando International Airport via Disney’s Magical Express. Advance reservations are required and luggage delivery service and resort airline check-in service is no longer offered.
** Disney’s Magical Express will no longer be available starting January 1, 2022. However, service new and existing reservations for Disney Resort hotels will remain in effect throughout 2021. Service for the all new “MEARS CONNECT” starts January 1, 2002.
Is there a Resort Fee or Parking Charge at Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
There are no Resort Fees at Disney’s Contemporary Resort but self-parking costs $25.00 per night for hotel guests. Valet parking is available for $33.00 per night.
How are the pools at Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
There are two pools at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The main “Feature Pool” is a resort style pool with features a 17-foot water slide and children’s splash pad along with a seasonal poolside bar. The Bay Lake Pool is more serene as the perfect place to go after a long day at the Disney parks.
Contrary to rumors circulating on the internet, Disney does not allow hotel guests to “pool hop”. However, there are a few exceptions when stay at DVC resorts (owners only), Disney’s All-Star Resorts and Disney’s Port Orleans Resorts.
What are the food & beverage options at the Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
Disney’s Contemporary Resort features a number of dining options which range from grab-and-go / quick service, to upscale and resort casual dining. See a complete list of food & beverage options below.
What is the check-in and check-out time at Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
The check in-time at the Disney’s Contemporary Resort is 4:00 pm and check out time is at 11:00 am.
What is the pet policy at the Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
With the exception of service animals, pets are not allowed at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. However, Disney has an ongoing pilot program that allows pets at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort and the Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort.
Amazing Florida BeachesAmazing Florida BeachesAbout Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Contemporary Resort originally opened in October 1971 and is one of the original on-site hotels at Walt Disney World (along with Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort). The 15-story main tower features 383 guests rooms and houses the Grand Canyon Concourse (restaurants and shops). Just adjacent to the main tower is a three-story wing that features an additional 250 guests rooms.
The second floor Grand Canyon Concourse features several dining options and shopping venues as well as the escalator to the monorail boarding entrance. Bus transportation services pick up and drop off just outside of the first floor of the main tower.
This resort hotel is located on-site within the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida near the northern end of the property near the end of World Drive Drive. Access to the area is provided by the Osceola Parkway or Epcot Center Drives which connects to Interstate 4 just a few miles to the southeast.
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
4600 Seven Seas Drive
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830
It will take about 30 minutes to get to the Contemporary Resort from the Orlando International Airport. Guests can either take SR-528 (Beach Line Expressway) to Interstate 4, west to Osceola Parkway or SR-417 west to the Osceola Parkway. Both routes are similar in mileage and fairly easy to navigate for out-of-area travelers.
From Disney’s Contemporary Resort, the time / distance to the visitor toll plazas at the Disney theme parks are as follows (per Google Maps):
- Magic Kingdom Park: 5 to 10 minute walk (monorail and water taxi service is available)
- Epcot: Less than 5 miles, approximately 10 to 15 minutes by personal vehicle or monorail
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 6.5 miles, approximately 10 to 15 minutes
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom: 6 miles, approximately 10 to 15 minutes
- Disney Springs (Orange Parking Garage): 5.5 miles, approximately 10 to 15 minutes
The time / distance to other popular Orlando area attractions is as follows:
- SeaWorld Orlando: 13.5 miles, approximately 15 to 20 minutes
- Universal Orlando Resort: 17.5 miles, approximately 35 minutes.
- Downtown Orlando: 25 miles, approximately 30 to 40 minutes
- Orange County Convention Center: 15 miles, approximately 20 minutes
- The Mall at Millenia: 19.5 miles, approximately 25 to 30 minutes
Amenities at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s Contemporary Resort is one of the premier hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. This resort hotel features an extensive amount of amenities and recreational offerings.
Resort Pool Areas
There are two separate pool areas at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The main pool is the Feature Pool which includes heated pool with a children’s splash pad and 17-foot curving waterslide. The pool itself is a zero-entry beach style pool with a poolside restaurant and bar. Cabana rentals are also available at the Feature Pool.
In addition to the Feature Pool is the Bay Lake Pool which is the place to go to relax after a long day at the theme parks.
In addition to the two pools, the Contemporary has a white sandy beach that faces Bay Lake. Some of the best views at the Walt Disney World Resort are from this resort’s beach.
Resort Wide Transportation
Disney’s Contemporary is the closest to the Magic Kingdom and less than a 10 minute walk from the front door to the main gate. Since the Contemporary is one of just three hotels on the “monorail loop”, guests can also travel to the Magic Kingdom in air-conditioned comfort and arrive in just a few minutes. In addition to the monorail, water taxi service is available for guests traveling to the Magic Kingdom.
For guests visiting other areas of the resort, bus transportation is provided and accessible at the front of the hotel. Additionally, guests can take the Epcot monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center and arrive at the front gate of Epcot within less than 15 minutes.
The Contemporary offers a number of organized activities including Disney movies under the stars as well as family campfires where guests can roast marshmallows.
Every evening guests will enjoy watching the Electrical Water Pageant right from the beach along Bay Lake. This pageant features a number of lighted sea creatures and patriotic displays that are set to your favorite electronic Disney music.
- Basketball, Tennis and Volleyball
- Olympiad Fitness Center
- Lakeside Yoga
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
- Resort Concierge
- Merchandise Pickup and Delivery
- Motorized Boat Rentals and Guided Fishing Tours
- The Game Station (arcade)
Dining Options at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Dining options at the Contemporary are fairly extensive and range from quick service to upscale dining.
- California Grill: Serving American fare as well as seafood and sushi this recently renovated full-service restaurant is located on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort and has breathtaking views of the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon. This restaurant is only open for dinner service and advance reservations are highly recommended. Click here to see the menu at the California Grill.
- Steakhouse 71: Guests will enjoy fine steaks and chops at this resort casual, full-service restaurant. Steakhouse 71 is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner service and also features a full service lounge. Click here to see the menu at Steakhouse 71.
- Chef Mickey’s: Chef Mickey’s is the ultimate in character dining. Guests will enjoy all-you-can-eat American fare for breakfast or dinner at this resort casual family orientated restaurant. Breakfast costs $27.00 per child and $42.00 per adult plus tax & gratuity. Dinner services costs is $36.00 per child and $55.00 per adult plus tax & gratuity. Click here to see the menu at the Chef Mickey’s.
- The Sand Bar: Enjoy American fare and cocktails poolside for lunch and dinner (until 8:00 PM). Located by the Feature Pool, this quick service restaurant features a variety of starters and sandwiches as well as kids meals. Click here to see the menu at The Sand Bar.
- Contempo Cafe’: Quick service dining on the Grand Canyon Concourse – open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Click here to see the menu at the Contempo Cafe’.
Additional food and beverage options at Disney’s Contemporary Resort include:
- Outer Rim (bar service)
- Contemporary Grounds (snacks)
- Contemporary Grounds (snacks)
The Rooms at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
There are a number of different room types at Disney’s Contemporary Resort which are listed below. All rooms feature free wireless internet service, a coffee maker, iron / ironing board, in-room safe, telephone with voicemail, hairdryer and bathroom products.
- Main Tower – Lake View: One King with a day bed or two Queen beds and a day bed – sleeps up to 5 adults; views are of Bay Lake.
- Garden Wing – Deluxe Room: Larger room with one King and one Queen sleeper sofa – sleeps up to 4 adults; views are of Bay Lake, the marina or pool areas.
- Garden Wing – Garden View: Two Queen beds and one day bed – sleeps up to 5 adults; views are of Bay Lake, the marina or pool areas.
- Main Tower – Theme Park View: One King with a day bed or two Queen beds with a day bed – sleeps up to 5 adults; views of the Magic Kingdom and parking area.
- Garden Wing – Standard View: Two Queen beds and a day bed – sleeps up to 5 adults; views are of the parking area or obstructed views.
- Garden Wing – King: One king bed – sleeps up to 3 adults; views are of the pool or parking area.
The Contemporary offers a club level rooms and suites which offers secure key access to the Atrium Club or Tower Club which are open from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Guests enjoy complimentary refreshments, free health club access and personalized front desk / guest services.
Like most hotels in the greater Orlando area, rates at Disney’s Contemporary Resort are highly seasonal and we have found that rates and availability do vary quite considerably throughout the year. The rates shown below are the best available rate for two adults and two children in both room types offered at this hotel.
The following rates were obtained from the hotel web site at the time of publication. Please note that nightly rates can change at any time.
|Rates for 2022||March 15th||May 15th||July 15th|
|Main Tower – Lake View||NA||$731.00||$684.00|
|Main Tower – Theme Park View||NA||$830.00||$741.00|
|Garden Wing – Garden View||NA||$572.00||$562.00|
Disney is constantly running special offers and there are always discounts for annual passholders and Florida Residents. Taxes: There is a 6% resort tax on top of a 6.5% sales tax. There are no resort fees but there is a $25 per night parking charge.
Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort (Disney Vacation Club)
Just next to the main tower is the Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort which opened in 2009 and includes a 15-story, 295-room building that is Disney’s Vacation Club (DVC) property. This resort features 148 two-bedroom units, 133 lock-off two-bedroom units and 14 three-bedroom units with fantastic views of the Magic Kingdom, Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon.
Bay Lake Tower has it’s own resort style pool with a 148-foot long waterslide (the Bay Cove Pool) and DVC owners have access to the Top of the World Lounge. This 16th floor lounge is a great place to enjoy light snacks and cocktails while watching the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.
Owners and guests staying Bay Lake Tower have access to all the resort amenities and dining options at the Contemporary Resort.
What We Liked about Disney’s Contemporary Resort
There are a number of things to like about Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Following are some of the highlights:
- Excellent location near the Magic Kingdom & on the Monorail loop
- Complimentary Disney resort wide transportation
- Great view of the Seven Seas Lagoon, Bay Lake & Magic Kingdom
- Great amenities and dining options
What We Did Not Like about Disney’s Contemporary Resort
There are a few things about the Disney’s Contemporary Resort we do not like which include:
- Very expensive nightly hotel rates
- $25 per day self-parking fee
- Limited availability due to high demand (forget about last minute trips here)
What We Think Disney’s Contemporary Resort is Perfect For
We were very happy with our stay at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and find that it is perfect for:
- Guests seeking the best Disney vacation experience
- Families spending time at either the Magic Kingdom or Epcot theme parks
Our Endless Summer Hotel Rating
As Florida residents as well as Disney annual passholders, we try to take advantage of special offers for any on-site hotels including the Deluxe Resorts like the Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Unfortunately we have found at this time availability has been limited during times we travel and nightly rates far exceed that we find at luxury off-site resorts like the Waldorf Astoria, JW Marriott Bonnet Creek and the Ritz-Carlton Orlando.
However, if we find a nightly rate under $500.oo during a weekend, we definitely feel the cost is worth it for the location and the Disney experience.
We give this hotel 4.5 out of a possible 5 stars (2021 review) and recommend it for your next trip to the Walt Disney World Resort.