Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) is the preeminent annual Halloween event across the entire state of Florida. If you are a fan of Halloween or just love to be scared, this is the place for you to be every fall.
Typically held on select dates from late September until early November of every year, this separately ticketed event takes place in Universal Studios Florida theme park at the Universal Orlando Resort. The theme park closes early and the entire park is transformed into one amazing Halloween party which includes some the scariest walk-thru haunted houses, terrifying scare zones and amazing live entertainment.
Originally started in 1991 at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, this sinister annual event is now available in all four of Universal’s worldwide theme parks including Universal Studios Hollywood (1997), Universal Studios Singapore (2012) and Universal Studios Japan (2012).
Halloween Horror Nights usually starts around 6:30 PM and ends at 1:00 AM or 2:00 AM in the morning so you will have hours of terrifying fun.
What does is cost to attend Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Florida?
General admission tickets for Halloween Horror Nights 31 (2022) range in price from $73.99 to $104.99 per night. Prices vary based on the individual night and Friday / Saturday nights command the highest ticket prices.
Additional ticket packages for 2022 are as follows:
- Rush of Fear Pass: Get the first 17 nights of Halloween Horror Nights. The price for the Rush of Fear Pass is $129.99 and could be combined with Universal Express for $429.99.
- Frequent Fear Pass: Visit HHN for up to 27 nights which includes every Sunday to Thursday plus the first weekend of HHN 31. The price for the Rush of Fear Pass is $179.99 and could be combined with Universal Express for $509.99.
- Frequent Fear Plus Pass: Visit HHN for 36 nights every Sunday to Friday plus first and last Saturday event nights. The price for the Frequent Fear Pass is $219.99 and could be combined with Universal Express for $599.99
- Ultimate Frequent Fear Pass: Access to every single night that Universal offers HHN plus free regular parking after 5:00 PM. The price for the Ultimate Frequent Fear Pass is $324.99 and could be combined with Universal Express for $819.99.
Additional premium experiences for HHN 31 (2022) prices are as follows:
- Halloween Horror Nights Express Pass: Priced from $109.99 to $189.99, guests will skip the regular lines one time at all haunted houses as well as participating attractions.
- Halloween Horror Nights Behind-the-Screams: Unmasking the Horror Tour: Priced from $79.99 to $109.99 for a 3-haunted house tour or $129.99 to $159.99 for a six-house tour, guests will go behind the scenes for a VIP lights on tour of this year’s HHN haunted houses.
- Halloween Horror Nights RIP Tour: Priced from $279.99 to $399.99, guests will enjoy a guided VIP walking tour of the event as well as priority entry to all haunted houses.
- Private RIP Tour: This guided VIP walking tour includes UNLIMITED priority entry to all haunted houses and participating attractions.
- Scream Early: Enter Universal Studios Florida at 3:00 PM and be among the first to experience the horrors. Cost is $35.00 per person per night.
- HHN Scareactor Dining Experience: Buffet dining at Louie’s Italian Restaurant with your favorite Scareactors. Starting at $54.00 per person with five seperate times available (5:00 PM, 5:15 PM, 5:30 PM, 5:45 PM and 6:00 PM).
HHN for Universal Annual Passholders
If you area a Universal Orlando annual passholder, there are discounts available for purchase. However, Premier annual passholders get one free night of access to HHN during select nights (check out the benefits of being a Premier annual passholder by CLICKING HERE).
2022 Admission Dates for Premier Annual Passholders:
- September 2 to 4, 7 to 11, 15 to 18, 21 to 24, 28 to 30
- October 2
Haunted Houses & Scare Zones at HHN in Universal Studios Florida
Every year Universal sets up Haunted Houses and Scare Zones throughout the park with differing themes based on pop culture at that particular time. Prior themes include “The Walking Dead”, “The Purge”, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”, “Alien vs Predator”, “The Shining”, “American Horror Story” and “Stranger Things”.
In 2022 there are a total of ten walk-thru Haunted Houses and five Scare Zones. The Haunted Houses are typically in sound studios or behind-the-scenes area of Universal Studios Florida. The scare zones are usually spread throughout several areas on the park and are typically located as follows:
- Production Central in front of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
- The Hollywood area
- Adjacent to Central Park and the NBC Media Center / Garden of Allah Villas
- In New York in front of the Revenge of the Mummy
- In San Francisco in front of the exit of Fast & Furious Supercharged and across from Chez Alcatraz
Live Entertainment and Shows at HHN in Universal Studios Florida
Live entertainment is a big part of the Halloween Horror Night Experience. Universal hosted a live show themed after the “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” movies. The Bill & Ted show was wildly popular and ran from 1992 to 2017. Another HHN fan favorite was the Academy of Villains which is a hip-hop dance group that came to prominence from the show “America’s got Talent”.
The live shows are some of the best Halloween themed performances we have every seen and are features several times every night. These shows should not be missed during your next visit to HHN.
However, we do wish Universal would bring back the Bill & Ted show!
Rides and Attractions Which Remain Open During HHN
Universal also keep several rides and attractions open during Halloween Horror Nights. For 2019 a number of the most popular rides remained open which included:
- Transformers The Ride – 3D
- Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
- Revenge of the Mummy
- Men in Black Alien Attack
- The Simpsons Ride
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Shopping and Dining During HHN
HHN fans will find Halloween Horror Nights merchandise at the following stores throughout the Universal Studios Florida. In addition to these stores, there are kiosks / carts within the park as well as in Universal’s CityWalk.
- Universal Studios Store
- Universal Music Plaza Kiosk
- Sahara Traders
- The Film Vault
- San Francisco Kiosk
- MIB Gear
- Cyber Image
In addition to the stores shown above, Universal opens the HHN TRIBUTE STORE during the Halloween season. The store has separate rooms featuring not only the latest merchandise but also throw back merch from prior years HHN events. There is also a fully stocked bakery offering Halloween Horror Nights themed cakes, donuts, pretzels and other tasty delights.
The Tribute Store is open all day and night during normal park operating hours. It is located in the New York area of Universal Studios Florida next to Macy’s and across from the Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon.
Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (HHN 31)
For 2022, Halloween Horror Nights will run on select nights from September 2, 2022 to October 31, 2022 and will feature 10 haunted houses, two live shows and five scare zones to go along with themed food, drinks and merchandise.
- September 2022: 2 – 4, 7 – 11, 15 – 18, 21 – 25, 28 – 30
- October 2022: 1 – 2, 5 – 9, 12 – 16, 19 – 23, 26 – 31
2022 HHN Haunted Houses
There will be ten (10) Haunted Houses for HHN 31 which are as follows:
- The Horrors of Blumhouse – Two sets of horror in the Blumhouse with “Freaky” and “The Black Phone” where guests will navigate what is practically two individual haunted houses. The Horrors of Blumhouse is back for a third year so watch out for the butcher and the Grabber in what we think is one of the most scary haunted houses for HHN 31.
- Bugs: Eaten Alive – The Endless Summer hates bugs and bugs are everywhere in this 1950’s “Home of the Future”. Bugs: Eaten Alive is all new for 2022 house and is located near Men in Black Alien Attack. Watch out for their slime and be careful not to have all these critters crawl up your skin.
- Halloween – Michael Myers where are you! Michael comes back to Halloween Horror Nights as guests step back in time with this 1978 slasher movie classic. Located in the Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon, be prepared to come face to face with Michael Myers.
- Descendants of Destruction – Located between Men in Black Alien Attack and The Simpsons Ride, guests go down in a deserted New York subway tunnels where dozens of hungry mutants are waiting to feed. The design of this house was amazing and was set up like a real life subway station.
- Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake – Located in the street of New York, this house has fast become a fan favorite. Watch out for the zombie fisherman as you travel from an old fishing village to an abandoned vessel. These fishermen are are seeking revenge so beware of theirs nets and hooks.
- Hellblock Horror – Just outside of Production Central, monsters have escaped from prison and they are coming for you. There’s no electric power in this maximum security prison and carnage is on the menu.
- Universal Monsters: Legends Collide – Located in Woody Woodpeckers Kid Zone, Dracula, The Wolf Man and the Mummy battle for supremacy while you are caught in the middle of this battle of legends!
- Fiesta de Chupacabras – Just outside the street of New York, the legendary chupacabras come to life and line the streets with blood. Fiesta de Chupacabras is one of the more terrifying houses of the entire HHN 31 line up.
- Spirits of the Coven – Located in Production Central near the Universal stage, guests will need to beware of the witches that lure you into a 1920’s speakeasy as their drink of choice is you!
- The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare – Also located in Woody Woodpeckers Kid Zone, The Weeknd After Hours Nightmare is one of the most popular housed for 2022. Get ready for blinding lights, frightful creatures as The Weeknd will stalk you this is horrific house of horrors while playing his After Hours music.
2022 HHN Scare Zones
Throughout the park guests will find five (5) individual Scare Zones that will terrify guests as they pass through these areas on their way to the HHN haunted houses.
For 2022, these scare zones include:
2022 HHN Live Entertainment
Universal will also showcase two different Live Entertainment shows for 2022:
- Ghoulish! A Halloween Tale – All new for 2022, this ghost story will be set on the Universal Studios’ central lagoon. Showtimes for Ghoulish! A Halloween Tale are 9:00 PM, 10:00 PM, 11:00 PM and midnight.
- Halloween Nightmare Fuel Wildfire – Back for 2022, this amazing pyro show features intense music and aerial performers. Showtimes for Halloween Nightmare Fuel Wildfire are 8:00 PM, 9:30 PM, 11:00 PM and 12:30 AM.
2022 Halloween Horror Nights Food
Halloween Horror Nights at Universal always brings out a vast array of themed food and specialty beverages to celebrate the scary season. Following is the complete lineup for 2022.
Dia de los Muertos
- Tamales de Los Muertos
- Chicharrones de Harina con Azúcar y canela
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Mushroom Street Tacos
- Día de los Muertos Popcorn Souvenir
- Mangonada Popsicle
Gramercy Park and San Francisco
- No “Chance” in Hell PB&J
- Fried Twinkies®
- Fried Oreos®
- Haunted Horseshoe
- Killer Stove Top Popcorn Custard
- Petrified Rat Tails
- “Major Sweets” Ice Cream Sandwich
- Spicy Turkey and Squash Bun
- African Lentil & Potato Sambusa Coffin
- Pepperoni Pizza Skull
- Tombstone Red Velvet Cake Pop
- Lil’ Boo’s Spicy Pumpkin Bun
- Twisted Tater
- Fiery Twisted Tater with Queso
- Twisted Tater Blood ‘N Guts
- Mozzarella Arepas
- Carnitas Arepas
- Witches Spell Cauldron Stew
- Burnt Offering Mac ‘N Cheese Bowl
- Sacrificial Remains Mac ‘N Cheese Bowl
- Samhain Shocker
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Punch
- Bog Slime 2: The Sequel
- Fresh Ground Princess
- Fried Zombie Brains
- Sour Beating Gummy Heart
- Spoiled Angry Bear Meat
- Spicy Fried Chicken “Offals”
- Bloody Mary
- Classic Pizza Fries
- Vegan Pizza Fries
- Twisted Tater
- Sweet Potato S’mores Fries
- Twisted Tater Blood ‘N Guts
- Fiery Twisted Tater with Queso
- Revenge of the Circus Peanut
- Garlic Philly Cheese “Stake”
- Mummy’s Curse Tablet Cookie
- Tinsel Town Terror
- The Good Guys Burger
- Chili Lee Ray
- Dirty Valentine
- “Wanna Play” Beignet
Louie’s Italian Restaurant
- Reuben Fries
- Classic Pizza Fries
- Churro Dog on a Stick
- Maggot Covered Cheese Dog
2022 Halloween Horror Nights Beverages (Premium Bars)
The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare
- Save Your Tears
- Hacker- Pschorr Oktoberfest
- Keel & Curley Pecan Pie Cider
- Rogue Batsquatch Hazy IPA
- Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale
- Canned Beverages
Dia de los Muertosnt
- Burning Skull
Guests will also find a number of HHN bars that are located throughout the park that serves specialty cocktails including Ghoul Juice and Electric Death.
2022 Halloween Horror Nights Desserts
- Coconut Yuzu Eyeball
- High Gate Cemetery Marble Cake
- “The Ether” Cookies and Cream Mousse
- Hallow’s Eve Caramel Apple Pop Tart
San Francisco Pastry Co.
- Spirit Board Blackberry Cheesecake
- Witches Cauldron Brownie
- Chucky Killer Cake Pop
- Petite Cookies & Scream
- Jack ‘O’ lantern Pumpkin Spice Mousse
2022 HHN Stay and Scream Locations
Stay & Scream allows guests to stay in the park after it closes at 5:00 PM on Halloween Horror Nights events days. The main benefit of Stay & Scream is that guests have access to select HHN houses before the gates open at 6:30 PM which is a great way to finish a house (or two) before the crowds arrive.
For HHN 31 there are four (4) individual Stay & Scream locations for HHN 31.
- Springfield: Located near Duff’s, guests corralled in the Springfield area will have access to The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare & Universal Monsters: Legends Collide around 5:30 PM and Descendants of Destruction & Bugs: Eaten Alive around 5:45 PM.
- New York: Located near Louie’s, guests corralled in the New York area will have immediate access to Dead Mans’s Pier: Winter’s Wake and Halloween.
- San Francisco: Located near Richter’s Burger Bar, guests corralled in the San Francisco area will have immediate access to The Horrors of Blumhouse.
- Production Central: Located near the Today Café near the entrance to Universal Studios Florida, guests corralled in the Production Central area will have immediate access to Hellblock Horror.
Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (HHN 30)
The 2021 version of Halloween Horror Nights featured the ghost with the most, Beetlejuice (as planned for 2020) and our friend Jack the Clown.
Jack is back for HHN 30 and will have his own haunted house for this coming year (2021). Jack’s been part of many HHN events including 2000, 2007 and 2015. This year he will come back in three incarnations – clown, ringmaster and rock star.
This premier Halloween event is set to take place on select nights from September 3, 2021 to October 31, 2021 and will feature haunted houses, live entertainment and scare zones.
2021 HHN Haunted Houses
- Beetlejuice: Say his name three times and see what happens in the Lost Souls Room, the model graveyard and in Dante’s Inferno. Guests will also get the chance to be part of the dinner party and wedding from the infamous movie.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Enter this Texas home at your own risk as the Sawyer family is lurking with their chainsaws.
- Case Files Unearthed: Investigate supernatural beings, mysterious creatures and ghastly ghouls.
- Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives: Bride will stop at nothing to bring Frankenstein back to life.
- The Wicked Growth (Realm of the Pumpkin): Beware of the Pumpkin Lord who is looking for unwilling sacrifices.
- The Haunting of Hill House: From the popular Netflix show, guests will enter Hill House which is “more alive than its ghostly inhabitants”.
- HHN Icons Captured: Experience 30 years of HHN characters all together including Jack the Clown, The Caretaker and many, many more.
- Revenge of the Tooth Fairy: Experience the dark side of this children’s tradition where its an “eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth”.
- Welcome to Scarey: Horror in the Heartland: Carey, Ohio used to be a nice pace to live but no one lives here for long.
- Puppet Theatre: Enter a San Francisco abandoned theater where a puppeteer and ballet troupe have been trapped since the early 1900’s.
2021 HHN Scare Zones
Throughout the park guests will find a number of Scare Zones. The complete line of scare zones is as follows:
- CRYPT TV
- 30 Years 30 Fears
- Seek and Destroy
- Gorewood Forest
- Lights Camera Hacktion – Eddie’s Revenge
2021 HHN Live Entertainment
Universal continues its tradition of hosting live entertainment for guests of Halloween Horror Nights. Planned shows for 2021 include:
- Marathon of Mayhem Carnage Factory: Showcased in the Universal lagoon, guests will watch the horror of this “fear factory”.
- Halloween Nightmare Fuel: An all new show featuring aerial performers, special effects and pyrotechnics.
Endless Summer Tips when Attending Halloween Horror Nights
If you are planning on visiting Universal for HHN, there are a number of things you need to know to get the most out of our visit. Following is a short list of our best tips when attending Halloween Horror Nights.
Buy Tickets in Advance
Halloween Horror Nights is one of the most popular special events of any Orlando theme park and
Arrive Early (Stay & Scream)
At times Universal will reach capacity during the opening weekend so a number of guests will unfortunately be turned away. If possible, get in the park during the day before HHN opens (however a park ticket or annual pass is required for admission during the day). Guests with a valid HHN ticket are allowed to remain within Universal Studios Florida in fur (4) corralled areas.
It has been our experience that the HHN park experience is open to guests in the corralled areas between 15 and 30 minutes of the opening of the gates. Therefore, guests already in the park get a jump start to the first Haunted House (or two, depending on crowd levels).
If you don’t have a park ticket or annual pass to get into Universal Studios Florida early, we recommend the $35.00 Scream Early Ticket which allows access to the park from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM followed by the ability to stay in a Stay & Scream aera until the event begins. Important note: make sure you have a valid HHN admission ticket before purchasing Scream Early.
Develop a Plan
It makes sense to figure out which Haunted Houses you want to get to first as wait times can easily exceed 30 to 60 minutes on a typical weekend night. We recommend that HHN guests head to the newest / most popular houses first before the lines get long (which are typically near the front of the park in Production Central & New York), then move on to the other near Hollywood, in the Kids Zone area and finally the ones near Men In Black Alien Attack.
We also recommend that you see the Live Entertainment later in the evening as the initial shows are always the most crowded.
It’s not cheap but the Universal Express pass is one of the best ways to experience Halloween Horror Nights. HHN Express Passes typically start from $89.99 and allow for front of the line access for each haunted house. If you are planning on attending on either a Friday or Saturday night during the month of October, Universal Express is highly recommended to ensure you are able to get through all the Haunted Houses.
Don’t forget that R.I.P. (VIP) Tours are offered which provide for immediate access to the Haunted Houses as well as current year shows.
If you are staying at a Universal on-site Premier level hotel (Portofino Bay, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific), the free Universal Express benefit is valid for normal operating hours only and does not extend to HHN nights.
Buy Merch During the Final Days
Although you might miss out on some of the more popular items if they are sold out, we have found the best time to be HHN merchandise is during the final days.
From 2017 to 2021 Universal has discounted HHN merch in the Tribute Store by as much as 50%, depending on the items. So if you are looking to pick up a new HHN T-shirt, HHN themed lanyard or any other souvenir, try and wait until the end of the season.
Learn More about the Universal Orlando Resort with our Theme Park Guides
Where Should We Stay When Visiting the Universal Orlando Resort?
The Universal Resort has a number of great on-site hotels and each and every one of them have their own benefits, characteristics and price points.
There are multiple “categories” of hotels but the highest quality on-site hotels are the Premier Hotels. Premier hotels are Universal’s premium hotels that have the highest quality amenities & accommodations, the closest locations to the theme parks and largest amount of on-site hotel benefits.
What sets Premier hotels apart is that they provide a free Universal Express pass to every guest staying in the room. Universal Express allows guests to skip the regular lines and ride the most popular rides as many times as they would like. Once you get used to Universal Express, you will never want to visit a theme park without one.
In addition Universal’s Premier hotels and resorts, there are a number of other on-site and off-site hotels options. Click here to learn more about hotels in the Universal Orlando area.