The Cabana Bay Beach Resort is one of the on-site hotels at the Universal Orlando Resort. This expansive property is the largest individual on-site hotel at Universal, featuring a total of 2,200 rooms (The Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites comes in a close second at 2,050 rooms). Cabana Bay is quite unique in style as it is designed and themed after the classic Florida beach resorts of the 1950’s and 1960’s, literally right down to the classic cars parked out front.
The northernmost end of the resort included the first phase of Cabana Bay’s construction. Phase one include a total of five low-rise buildings which contain traditional hotel rooms and family suites, along with an additional amenity / common area building that houses the hotel lobby, check-in dining facilities and other amenities. These motel inspired buildings consist of 1,800 rooms and are named the “Castaway”, “Starlight”, “Thunderbird”, “the Americana” and “the Continental” and opened to guests in 2014.
Phase two brought an additional 400 rooms in the two towers, opening for guests in mid-2017. The “Beachside” and “Bayside” towers include traditional hotel rooms along with 20, two-bedroom suites. The rooms and suites on the south side of the towers are the most desirable as they feature expansive view of Universal’s Volcano Bay water theme park.
Cabana Bay is managed by Loews Hotels and is one of Universal’s mid-tier “Prime Value Hotel & Resorts” which means it is a fairly affordable on-site hotel option. When staying at Cabana Bay or any of the on-site hotels at Universal, guests are provided a number of exclusive theme park benefits which further enhance the value for the cost of the visit.
If you thinking about staying at Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort, we would appreciate if you can use our links when making the reservations. Endless Summer is an affiliate with Expedia.com and receives a small commission for each visit that was referred by our website. This allows us to continue to continue making great content for our audience.
The Location of the Cabana Bay Beach Resort
The Cabana Bay Beach Resort is within the boundaries of Universal Orlando, immediately adjacent to Universal’s Volcano Bay. Access to the hotel is fairly simple as there is an interchange at Universal Boulevard from Interstate 4.
This property is fairly well located and is close to the Orange County Convention Center, International Drive and several of Orlando’s major shopping & entertainment destinations.
Cabana Bay Beach Resort
6550 Adventure Way
Orlando, Florida 32819
It will take guests approximately 20 minutes to get to the hotels from the Orlando International Airport and less around 10 minutes to get to the Orlando / Orange County Convention Center.
There are several restaurants and retail venues within a very short distance along Kirkman Drive which include a Walgreens Pharmacy, Kobe Japanese Steakhouse and TGI Fridays. Additional shopping outlets and restaurants are located along nearby International Drive and Sand Lake Road (along known as restaurant row).
Being in the heart of the Universal Orlando Resort, Universal’s CityWalk, Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure area is less than 5 minute bus ride from Cabana Bay. Guests can also take the Universal Parks Garden Walk to the CityWalk entrance near Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville – approximately a 15 to 20 minute walk.
An entrance to Universal’s Volcano Bay water theme park is literally at the back of Cabana Bay rear adjacent to the Bayside Tower. Feel like taking a break and going to the room for an hour? Just walk out the gate are you on the Cabana Bay property. Make sure you bring your room key as you will need it for access.
Additional area theme parks and destinations are short distance to the hotel. Per Google Maps, travel time is as follows (non-peak hours):
- SeaWorld Orlando: Less than 15 minutes.
- The Magic Kingdom Park: approximately 25 minutes.
- EPCOT at the Walt Disney World: approximately 20 minutes.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: approximately 20 minutes.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom: approximately 25 minutes.
- Disney Springs: approximately 15 minutes.
- Downtown Orlando: approximately 20 minutes.
- Orlando Premium Outlets: Less than 5 minutes.
- Vineland Premium Outlets: Less than 15 minutes.
Hotels Amenities and Dining Options at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort
The Cabana Bay Beach Resort is enormous and once guests arrive, there is so much to do they don’t have to leave the property.
Since Cabana Bay is themed as a beach resort, you can rest assured that the pools are spectacular. In addition to the pool and water features themselves, there are a number of poolside activities that occur every day.
The northernmost pool in the Cabana Courtyard and Pool features a large resort style pool with a dive tower themed water slide, children’s splash pad / play area, hot tub, extensive patio seating, private cabanas (for rent), the poolside Atomic Tonic bar, a picnic area and a fire pit for late night smores.
The private cabanas include a refrigerator with four bottles of water, a personal television, an in-house telephone to order pizza, a table with four chairs, two lounge chairs and a personal safe. Cabanas fit up to six guests and can be reserved by calling 407.503.4175.
The Lazy River Courtyard and Pool is near the southernmost buildings and the two towers. Features include a beach entry main pool plus a lazy river, a sandy beach area, poolside Hideaway Bar & Grill, extensive patio seating and two fire pits.
Additional Amenities at Cabana Bay include:
- The Jack LaLanne Physical Fitness Studio
- Ace The Arcade (game room)
- Galaxy Bowl – there is a 10-lane lowing alley on the second floor of the hotel lobby
- A Universal Studios Store
- On-site Universal ticket desk
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
There are multiple casual and quick-service dining options at Cabana Bay that will fit any palette.
The Bayline Diner is Cabana Bay’s main dining option. This food court style restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm (extended to 11:00 pm on Friday and Saturday evenings). The Bayline Diner offers a number of food stations including:
- Pizza Station
- Burger Station
- Salad Station
- Dessert Station
There is also a grab-and-go section in the Bayline Diner which offers pre-made salads and sandwiches as well as snacks and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).
The Hideaway Bar & Grill
The Hideaway Bar & Grill is the poolside restaurant at the Lazy River Pool on the southern end of the resort. Open daily from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm (10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday), this dining option features salads, sandwiches, burgers and specialty cocktails.
The Atomic Tonic is the poolside restaurant at the Cabana courtyard pool on the northern end of the resort just outside the lobby building. Open on Friday’s from 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 7:00 PM, the Atomic Tonic features light snacks, beer, win and specialty cocktails.
Galaxy Bowl Restaurant
Located on the second floor of the hotel’s lobby area and within the Galaxy Bowl bowling alley, the Galaxy Bowl Restaurant is a great place to grab a bite to eat and a cocktail after bowling a few frames with your family and friends. Open daily from 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm, Galaxy Bowl is a casual, table service restaurant that features burgers, wings, pizza, beer and specialty cocktails.
Located in the lobby building of cabana Bay, guests can grab a beer, wine or specialty cocktail at the retro-themed Swizzle Lounge on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5:00 pm to midnight.
Delizioso Pizza offers to go pizza service that can be delivered right to your room at Cabana Bay. Open on Friday and Saturday from 6:00 pm to midnight, Delizioso Pizza also offers salads, beverages and desserts.
What’s an on-site theme park hotel without a Starbucks? Get your morning coffee or afternoon snack from the baristas right in the lobby hobby.
Additional Dining Options
In addition to the dining options at Cabana Bay, guests will find a number of restaurants ranging from casual and quick-service dining to fine dining at the other Universal on-site hotels as well as Universal’s CityWalk.
Universal On-Site Hotel Benefits
When staying on-site at the Universal Orlando Resort guests receive a number of benefits that greatly enhance the enjoyment of their visit.
The on-site benefits of staying at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort include:
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Typically either Universal Studios Florida or Islands of Adventure open one hour early to allow hotel guests additional time to explore the Wizarding World.
- Private Entrance to Volcano Bay: There is an private entrance to Volcano Bay just outside of the Bayside tower at Cabana Bay. Make sure you bring your room key as it will be needed for access.
- Complimentary Transportation: Cabana bay guests can take the free shuttle buses from the front of the hotel for a short trip to the theme parks and CityWalk.
- Room Key Charge Privileges and Purchase Delivery: Do you want to purchase a wand at Ollivanders? Guests can use their room key to charge their purchases and Universal will deliver their packages directly to their room at Cabana Bay (select stores only).
Endless Summer Tip: Universal frowns up this but Cabana Bay guests can walk across the street to the Loews Sapphire Falls Resort and pick up the water taxi for a short ride to CityWalk. Watch our video of Universal’s water taxi from Sapphire Falls below.
The Rooms and Hotel Rates at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort
The Cabana Bay Beach Resort is enormous and features 2,200 individual hotel rooms and suites. There are 315 family suites in the northern courtyard, 285 poolside family suites in the northern courtyard, 915 standard rooms in the southern courtyard, 365 poolside rooms in the southern courtyard, 116 tower pool view family suites, 184 tower family suites and 20 two-bedroom suites in the Bayside and Beachside towers.
Individual room features are as follows:
Cabana Bay Room Types
- Standard Rooms: Includes two queen beds in 300 square feet with a flat panel television, small table, mini-refrigerator and coffee/tea service.
- Volcano Bay Standard Rooms: These rooms are the same as the standard rooms but feature amazing views of Universal’s Volcano Bay water theme park.
- Poolside Standard Rooms: These rooms are the same as the standard rooms but feature views of the courtyard / pool areas at the hotel.
- Family Suites (Exterior Entry): Includes two queen beds and a pull-out sofa bed in 430 square feet. Additional features include a compartmentalized bathroom, kitchenette with sink, microwave oven & mini-refrigerator and coffee/tea service.
- Poolside Family Suites (Exterior Entry): Similar to the Family Suites but these suites face the pool courtyard area.
- Family Suites (Interior Entry): Similar to the Family Suites but these suites are accessible from an interior hallway.
- Poolside Family Suites (Interior Entry): Similar to the Family Suites but these suites are accessible from an interior hallway and face the pool courtyard area.
- Volcano Bay 2-Bedroom Suite: The two-bedroom suite is the largest room at Cabana Bay and can fit up to 8 guests in 772 square feet. There are two full beds in one bedroom and a queen size bed in the other along with a pull-out sofa in the living room. In addition, there are two full bathrooms, a kitchenette with sink, microwave oven & mini-refrigerator and coffee/tea service. Most important is the spectacular view of Volcano Bay.
In addition to the above referenced room types, there are multiple mobility and hearing accessible rooms and suites that feature ADA tubs as well as roll-in and transfer showers.
Cabana Bay Room Rates
The follow rates are the rates for each of the resort varies for different dates throughout 2024. The rates were obtained from UniversalOrlando.com and at times there are a number of promotions offered during the year as well as discounts for Universal annual passholders and Florida residents.
|Rates for 2024
|Family Suite – Exterior Entry
|Volcano Bay View – Standard Room
There are no resort fees at each of this resort but there is a 6% resort tax on top of a 6.5% sales tax on nightly rates. There is also a $18 per night overnight parking charge.
What We Liked about Cabana Bay
There are many different things to like at this resort property. Following are some of the highlights:
- Affordable Universal on-site hotel option
- Right next door to Volcano Bay
- Fantastic theming (beach resort)
- Good selection of amenities and dining options
- Very good value for the price
What We Didn’t Like about Cabana Bay
There were a few things not to like when staying at the these hotels.
- Parking fee of $18 per night
- Bus transportation instead of water taxi service
- The pools get crowded in the later afternoons and weekends.
What We Think Cabana Bay is Perfect For:
These hotels are great for a wide variety of travelers visiting the Universal Orlando Resort and are perfect for:
- Guests visiting Universal’s theme parks, most specifically Volcano Bay
- Large families needing additional space and/or multiple bedrooms
- Vacationers seeking an affordable on-site hotel destination