The DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando is one of the closest off-site hotels to the Universal Orlando Resort. This full service hotel is a Universal Partner Hotel which features 742 rooms and suites within two, nineteen story buildings. Originally constructed in 1973 as the Sheraton Twin Towers Hotel, the DoubleTree underwent a comprehensive renovation in 2017 which includes the hotel rooms and common areas.
As an off-site hotel close to the Universal Orlando Resort, the DoubleTree by Hilton represents one of the best moderately priced hotel options for guests looking to stay in this area.
About the DoubleTree by Hilton
The Double Tree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando enjoy one of the most convenient locations near the Universal Orlando Resort, immediately adjacent to Interstate 4 and within waling distance to International Drive. This property is well located near all the Orlando area theme parks, the Orange County Convention Center, International Drive and several of Orlando’s major shopping & entertainment destinations.
DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
5780 Major Boulevard
Orlando, Florida 32819
It will take guests approximately 20 minutes to get to the hotel from the Orlando International Airport and less than 15 minutes to get to the Orlando / Orange County Convention Center.
There are several restaurants and retail venues within a very short distance to the DoubleTree which include Walgreens Pharmacy, Kobe Japanese Steakhouse and TGI Fridays. Additional shopping outlets and restaurants are located along Kirkman Drive or nearby International Drive.
The Orlando area theme parks are also a short distance to the hotel and per Google Maps, travel time is as follows (non-peak hours):
- The Universal Orlando Resort: Just across the street – less than a 5 minute drive or a 15 to 20 minute walk
- SeaWorld Orlando: Less than 15 minutes.
- The Magic Kingdom Park at the Walt Disney World Resort: approximately 25 minutes.
- EPCOT at the Walt Disney World Resort: approximately 20 minutes.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort: approximately 20 minutes.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort: approximately 25 minutes.
- Disney Springs at the Walt Disney World Resort: approximately 15 minutes.
- Downtown Orlando: approximately 20 minutes.
- Orlando Premium Outlets: Less than 5 minutes.
- Vineland Premium Outlets: Less than 15 minutes.
Hotels Amenities and On-Site Dining
While the DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando enjoys an excellent location just across from the Universal Orlando Resort, it does lack a number of the more popular amenities (like a lazy river or large water slides) that have become the standard for the major full service hotels in the Orlando area.
However, the level of amenities is considered to be fairly typical with other hotels similar in age and price point DoubleTree hotel.
Amenities at the DoubleTree by Hilton
- Heated outdoor pool with large hot tub
- Children’s splash pad
- Arcade / game room
- On-site hotel business center (UPS Store)
- On-site Universal Orlando ticket desk
- On-site Avis rental car desk
- Lobby gift shop and marketplace
- On-site laundry facilities
Dining Options at the DoubleTree by Hilton
From quick-service to resort casual dining, there are a number of on-site dining options at the DoubleTree. Due to COVID restrictions, not all dining venues were able to be visited as of the writing of this review.
The American Grill is the hotel’s signature dining option and is open daily from 2:00 PM (Monday to Wednesday) or 4:00 PM (Thursday to Sunday) until 10:00 PM. This restaurant servers a variety of traditional American fare including burgers, pizza, pasta, steak and seafood.
Sunshine Cafe / Sunshine Grill
The newly renovated Sunshine Cafe / Grill is the DoubleTree’s breakfast and lunch restaurant. The a la carte breakfast service beings at 7:00 AM and runs through 11:00 AM. At this time lunch service is available only from Monday to Wednesday from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Pizza, Burgers & More
Pizza, Burgers & More is the hotels quick-service dining option. Like the name says, this restaurant offers a variety of burgers, pizza, sandwiches and salads as well as a number of drinks and snacks. At this time Pizza, Burgers & More is available only from Thursday to Sunday from 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
In addition to the on-site dining options, there are a number of off-site restaurants all within walking distance to the DoubleTree. These include:
- TGI Fridays
- Miller’s Ale House
- Kobe Japanese Steakhouse
- Carabba’s Italian Grill
- Golden Corral Buffet and Grill
Let’s not forget that Universal’s CityWalk is just a short distance away. From quick service to fine dining, CityWalk has something for every hungry guest. Some of our favorite restaurants at CityWalk include:
- The Hard Rock Cafe
- The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen
- Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville
To learn more about all the shopping, dining and entertainment options as Universal’s CityWalk, please visit our Complete Guide to CityWalk at the Universal Orlando Resort.
The Rooms at the DoubleTree by Hilton
There area multiple types of rooms at the DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. These area indicated to be as follows:
DoubleTree by Hilton Room Types
- Standard One-King Bed
- Standard One-King Bed Corner Room
- Standard One-King Bed Universal View
- Standard Two-Queen Bed
- Standard Two-Queen Bed Corner Room
- Standard Two-Queen Bed Universal View
- Hospitality Room (no bed, attached to a sleeping room)
- Parlor (attached to a sleeping room)
All rooms and suites include a desk with work chair, mini refrigerator, 50-inch flat-panel HD television, wireless internet access, coffee maker / tea service, alarm clock, hair dryer and iron/ironing board.
Hotels Rates at the DoubleTree by Hilton
The follow rates are the rates for each of the resort varies for different dates throughout 2021. The rates shown below are the best available rate for two adults in each individual room type offered at the DoubleTree by Hilton.
The rates were obtained from the hotels web site at the time of publication of this article.
|Rates for 2021||4/15/21||7/15/21||10/15/21|
|One King Corner||$115.00||$154.00||$151.00|
|One King Universal||$96.00||$134.00||$132.00|
There are no resort fees at each of this resort but there is a 6% resort tax on top of a 6.5% sales tax on nightly rates. There is also a $23 per night parking charge.
If you are a Hilton Honors member you can earn and use rewards points during your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando.
Conferences and Events
Orlando is known for massive luxury hotel conference centers and one of the largest convention centers in the United States. The meeting and convention facilities at the DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando are considered moderate for hotels in this area.
- 62,329 square feet of event space
- 19,650 square foot ballroom that can accommodate 2,300 guests
- 15,158 square foot ballroom that can accommodate 2,000 guests
- 23 individual meeting rooms starting from 620 square feet
- Audio / video equipment rental is available
What We Liked about the DoubleTree by Hilton
There are a number of great things that we liked about the DoubleTree by Hilton hotel. These include:
- Walking distance to Universal Orlando
- No resort fees
- Ample dining options
- Near restaurant, shopping and entertainment venues
- Very good value for the money
What We Didn’t Like about the DoubleTree by Hilton
There were a few things not to like when staying at the these hotels.
- The hotel is showing its age (built in 1973)
- Lack of a resort style pool area and major water features
- Directly on a main road (traffic noise at night)
- Only two elevators per tower (lengthy wait during peak times)
What We Think the DoubleTree by Hilton is Perfect For:
These hotels are great for a wide variety of travelers coming to the Orlando area for and are perfect for:
- Visits to Universal Orlando and other Orlando area theme parks
- Inexpensive weekend getaways (close to restaurants, outlet malls and other entertainment venues)
- Business travelers to the greater Orlando area (value for the money and fairly close to business centers)
Our Endless Summer Hotel Rating
Endless Summer Florida has been to many different economy, moderate and luxury hotels in the in the Orlando tourist area and have stayed at a number of hotels just outside of Universal Orlando. We feel that the DoubleTree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando represents a very good value for the money as compared to other similar type properties throughout Central Florida.
Endless Summer rates this resort a 3.25 out of a possible 5 stars and recommend this hotel for your next trip to Orlando to visit the Universal Orlando theme parks or for a business conference.